Either parent, or the caretaker/guardian of a child, may open a child support case by completing an application. Our office will also open a case for any individual receiving CalWORKS and/or Medi-Cal who has been referred by the county Welfare Department.

You may complete an Online Application for Support Services and submit it electronically or you may fill out and complete a paper Application for Support Services Package and send it through the mail to:

San Mateo County DCSS
555 County Center, 2nd Floor
Box 8084
Redwood City, CA 94063

After we receive the completed application package, you will be contacted by our office to schedule an intake interview and you will be notified of your assigned case number and intake worker. The interview will expedite the processing of your case in our office. At this appointment you must bring the following documents:

  • Copy of the child/ren('s) birth certificate(s);
  • Verification of your child care expenditures, if applicable;
  • Paternity declaration, if this form was signed by the father in the hospital at the time of birth;
  • Three of your most recent pay stubs;
  • A copy of your last year's tax return (State or Federal);
  • A photo of the obligor parent;

In addition, if you have an existing child support order you must bring:

  • A copy of the original order and all subsequent modifications, if applicable;

Please keep in mind, the more information provided about the case, the better service our office can provide.