Tips for non-custodial parents

Here is a list of survival skills for a non-custodial parent who has a child support case with the Department of Child Support Services:
What you need to do if you have been ordered by a court to pay child support

Embrace and accept your responsibility and role as a parent. Focus on the child's best interests. It is important to maintain, at the least, a civil relationship with the other parent. Child support is for 18 years, but being a parent is for life.

Do not underestimate the seriousness of your legal responsibility to support your child. If you owe back child support, expect your tax refunds and lottery winnings to be intercepted. You could lose your driver's license. You could go to jail.

Conflicts with the other parent

The Department of Child Support Services cannot resolve your issues with the other parent. If you are having a conflict with the other parent about visitation or any issue concerning the child, look in the phone book to find a parent support group or mediation center.

While the Department of Child Support Services does not have the authority to enforce visitation or change custody, we may be able to refer you to other agencies or resources to help you.

Either parent can open a case with the Department of Child Support Services. He/she does not have to have custody of the child. Grandparents or relatives with custody can open a case for child support establishment or enforcement.