If a child was conceived prior to the marriage of his/her parents or if the child was born to an unwed couple, paternity is considered to be at issue and must be established.  Paternity may be established via one of the following methods:

  1. The father and mother may sign a Stipulation for Paternity
  2. The court may make a finding of paternity that becomes an order
  3. The mother and father may sign a voluntary declaration of Paternity via the State of California’s Paternity Opportunity Program (POP)